To support the development of our drone platform we are looking for a Flight Test Engineer.
Flight Test Engineer
The Flight Test Engineer is responsible for sustaining the UAV development and certification program and running tests to achieve our ultimate company mission of delivering sustainable, fast, cost effective and safe medical supplies by drone.
The unique tandem- tilt wing configuration drone is operated using a high- end robust autopilot system. The main functionality of the autopilot is to control the aircraft in all phased of the flight: (Vertical) Take- off and Landing, forward flight and the transition between flight phases. All flight phases are tested in a HIL simulation before actual flight testing.
The Flight Test Engineer’s role is highly multidisciplinary and he or she will be tasked with a wide variety of test design, execution and evaluation efforts in support of the UAV development and certification program. Team members are expected to operate quickly and autonomously while developing requirements, designing and fabricating test systems, conducting safe operations, reviewing data, automating testing and ground systems.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Design of the flight test program
- Create flight test plans, flight test results, flight test evaluations
- Execute flight tests
- Design, build, and modify test articles, test stands, test setups
- Design, build, modify, operate, and troubleshoot data acquisition and control systems (sensors, electromechanical actuators, programmable controllers)
- Improve and maintain the flight test database
- Programming the autopilot:
- Designing the flight control algorithm
- Tuning of PID loops
- Support integration of sub- systems (e.g. sensing systems supporting BVLOS operation)
- Support the SORA process to obtain flight permits for test- and demonstration flights
- Optimise integration of HIL simulation in preparation and evaluation of flight tests
- Interact with design team to improve the UAV design based on simulation and test data
- Execute designated tests in such a way they can be used as test evidence for certification
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, manufacturing engineering, or other relevant engineering discipline
- Experience developing and executing testing from conception to completion (internship or thesis experience qualifies)
- Master’s degree in aerospace engineering or mechanical engineering
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills or adapt to dynamic situations
- Ability to cope with changing priorities, requirements and scope
- Strong sense of accountability, integrity, and team focus with extensive multi-tasking and organizational experience
- Hands-on design and fabrication experience
- Experience with:
- UAV systems assembly and testing
- (Nested) PID loops tuning
- Flight planning
- Design and development of hydrogen powered propulsion systems
- Using 3D modelling software
- RPAL licence or equivalent
- Physical effort including standing, lifting, and occasionally carrying materials or equipment up to 23kg unassisted
- Exposed to work in typical outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain, sun
- Schedule varies depending on (test-) site operational needs; flexibility required
Send your resume and cover letter to Pieter Lantermans email@example.com or call +31 6 48 33 95 27 for additional information.